Sunday, July 25, 2010

La Vida Local

As I mentioned in the previous post, I feel really good about being able to buy locally when it comes to flowers. Of course not everything I use comes from within a 200 mile radius, but in the summer especially it is a little easier to be green.


Above is an arrangement I created for Lauren Davenport, a gifted interior designer who has a knack for mixing antiques and flea market finds with a fresh, modern approach. The residence she designed in this photo is in the Luxe building in Midtown.


The hydrangea I used is locally grown, and has been blooming on plants that are over 80 years old! These plants were passed down on a property in Dacula, and my go-to guy at the flower wholesaler over the years bought up several of them from the owner to cultivate himself. There is really no way to say what exactly the variety is, but these hydrangea are my absolute favorite simply because they are strong, dry extremely well, and are a beautiful and subtle mix of greens, blues, and pinks. This crop will last probably through August, but the dried flowers will endure throughout the year.


Another green arrangement is a colorful mix of summertime flowers. With the exception of the zinnias, which were grown at Gilbert Farms in Cartersville, I cut everything from my parents' gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment