Saturday, August 7, 2010

Town and Country

As much as I love the city of Atlanta, I love the fact that it's not a far drive from the peace and beauty of North Georgia. With several lakes, waterfalls, national parks and the eastern front of the Appalachian Mountains, known as the Blue Ridge Mountains, the northern part of the state has a lot to offer.





One truly magical spot is up 441, just a few miles before you enter North Carolina. Just after Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School and the Dillard House (yum!) is Betty's Creek Road on the left. 3.5 miles down is The Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences, where artists participate in residencies throughout the year. The mission is to provide the solitude, setting, and time necessary for creativity. Hambidge is a 600 acre tract of land with 9 cottage studios where fellows live and work for 2 to 8 weeks. The setting is pristine and provides a protected site for native plants and endangered species. In February 2009 I had the opportunity to attend this program and the experience is still fresh in my mind. Below are a few paintings I completed while there:AT ONE REMOVE


COUNTERFEIT INNOVATOR


PARTIAL VERDICT


ROOM TO BREATHE




Here's a shot of the studio that was my home:



I returned a few weeks ago to attend the Hambidge Hootin-N'anny, a green event that celebrated 75 years of the program. It was really something to see the place at the height of summer compared to the middle of winter. Both seasons do the setting justice!


Bluegrass at the Hootin-N'anny


As I write this I hear the sirens of firetrucks and car horns in Midtown. It's good to know that a quiet place is only 2 hours away!


1 comment:

  1. love those paintings! hate that we missed the hootin nanny - let me know when there's another one!

    ReplyDelete